Sunday, May 3, 2015

Prince Hall Masons Explore Their Augusta History

1 Historical Day

     On Friday, May 1, 2015, I received a call from the Senior Warden of New Era Lodge #107,  in Augusta, GA, Brother Sean Daniels, asking me what I was doing for the day. At that moment, I knew something great was going to come from it. I told him that I did not have any day plans, and that I was just sitting in my home, doing nothing at the current time. He told me that the GRAND HISTORIAN, Past Master Dave Gillarm, Jr., of The Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Georgia was in town, and wanted to explore the city to dive into more history. I jumped at the offer, and told him I would see him in 30 minutes at the 1st location. 
     The first location we met at, was Cedar Grove Cemetery. Here, we went searching for notable masons in history, to find their burial plots and also to see if we could stumble across more information than what the Grand Historian and Senior Warden already knew. What we found was amazing !
 
     When I arrived, they were already on to something. They had located the grave of Past District Deputy Grand Master, George Stoney, who was a notable Mason, and a prominent medical researcher in the late 1800s and early 1900s. After this, we went searching for more masons, and predominantly black leaders and great people of Augusta, GA. Below are pictures of notable people in history that we came across, some we knew, some are currently being researched.
     After we explored the cemetery, we made our way to Springfield Baptist Church, the birthplace of Morehouse College, whose founders grave plot was listed above. 
(Reading the Cornerstone of the Building)
(Located right across the street)

    Then, we made our way to the historical Tabernacle Baptist Church, which was erected by New Era Lodge #107, under Dr. George N. Stoney.
(This was on the side of the Tabernacle Church, very interesting find)

     This concluded the 1st part of our exploration. After we left Tabernacle, we continued our tour of the city and found so much more history. Stay tuned for the next blog, when I show more pictures of our epic day in the city of Augusta, GA! 


Fraternally,

James Q. Leach
Prince Hall Mason

No comments:

Post a Comment